How to grow an avocado plantIda Marie Banke24. April 2017
This is Signe. Signe is a plant enthusiast and has green fingers. Therefore, we teamed up with her to learn something about how to recycle and grow vegetable seeds that were otherwise going to get thrown out. First up is avocado! It is very simple to grow an avocado plant if you follow these simple steps:
1.All you need is an avocado, a pot with soil, a plastic bag, some paper towel, water and patience.
2. Remove the brown outer layer of the avocado seed.
3. Cover the seed in wet paper towel.
4. Put the covered seed in a plastic bag, close it and wait for 3-5 weeks.
5. When the avocado seed begins to sprout, take it out of the bag and place it in the pot with the sprout pointing downwards covered in the soil, leaving the top half of the seed exposed. Place on a sunny windowsill.
6. Give it frequent waterings with an occasional deep soak. The soil should always be moist, but not saturated.
Wait for your avocado plant. And who knows, in a few years you might be self-sufficient when it comes to avocados…